The overall number of global coronavirus cases was hitting the 31 million mark with recorded 30,918,269 active infected cases globally as of 21 September 2020. The number of deaths also increased to 959,332 as of 21 September 2020 and it continues to rise.
The US is still the worst-hit country in the world with 6.6 million infected cases and more than 197,000 fatalities. India came in second with at least 5.4 million cases and death toll of at least 86 thousand. Brazil was the third highest in terms of infected cases with at least 4.5 million cases, but it ranked second in fatalities with 136,895 fatalities.
The most surprising fact is the drastic surge of COVID-19 cases in India as India recorded 1 million cases in a record-time of 11 days. The numbers of cases are still increasing every day and the hot spot regions continue to rise upwards as it does not appear to be stopping anytime soon. India now accounts for more than 12% of active cases and 8% of deaths globally
COVID-19 is a dangerous virus that can easily infect people of all ages through respiratory droplets, airborne particles, or contact with infected surface. This transmission route allows it to spread from host-to-host and makes it difficult to detect the primary host. Even with presence of COVID-19 symptoms, some patients are asymptomatic, while others have symptoms that are due to a common fever or cold. So, determining if an individual is positive for the infection based on symptoms is not recommended.
Reszon Diagnostics had introduced Reszon COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test for export markets. The kit comes in the pack size of 25 test cassette format, is a single use lateral flow immunoassay rapid test intended to qualitatively detect specific SARS-CoV-2 antigen in human nasopharyngeal swab specimen from individuals who are suspected of COVID-19. It is intended to be used by the professionals as a screening test and as an aid in the early diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection.
Presence of SARS-CoV-2 virus can be detected within the first week of the onset of symptoms.
At present, the gold standard laboratory method for detecting COVID-19 is RT-qPCR. However, this molecular diagnostic method requires sophisticated equipment and highly trained laboratory technicians. The Reszon COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test is easy to use, cost-efficient and can be tested within 15-20 minutes at the point of care. This allows health authorities to isolate individuals who are suspected of COVID-19 from the community and lowers the risk of disease transmission.
You may find the demonstration video to learn step-to-step guide on instruction for use of Reszon COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test.
- Dangerfield, K. (17th September 2020). Global coronavirus cases surpass 30 million as deaths continue to rise. Global News. Accessed on 21st September 2020.
- Ians. (21st September 2020) Global coronavirus cases near 31 million mark, deaths increase to almost 960,000. TimesNowNews.com. Accessed on 21st September 2020.
- Krishnan, M. (20th September 2020). India records 5.4 million coronavirus cases as infection surges. Rfi. Accessed on 21st September 2020.
- Larsen, J. R. & et al. (13th August 2020). Modeling the Onset of Symptoms of COVID-19. Frontiers in Public Health. Accessed on 21st September 2020.
- Smith, M. W. (21st August 2020). Coronavirus and COVID-19: What You Should Know. WebMD. Accessed on 21st September 2020.
- CDC Staff. (4th September 2020). Interim Guidance for Rapid Antigen Testing for SARS-CoV-2. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Accessed on 22nd September 2020.
- Guglielmi, G. (16th September 2020). Fast coronavirus tests: what they can and can’t do. Nature. Accessed on 22nd September 2020.